Craigrownie Castle dates from 1852 and is the only castle designed by famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson. He was 34 at the time and better know for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Civic Glasgow
It was built as a weekend and holiday retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron and railway magnate who also had significant property development interests.
McElroy, with Thomas Forgan, built Cove Pier in 1852. He retained Thomson as his principal architect as he developed land bought from the Duke of Argyll along the shore at Cove. Cove was conceived and built as a weekend and holiday resort for wealthy Glasgow families looking to escape the smog and noise of industrial Glasgow. Residents would travel to Cove by boat along the Clyde from Glasgow, a journey which could be done in under two hours.